Saturday, April 26, 2008

Seinfeld and cell phones

Seinfeld, among the best sitcoms ever created, has some really funny situations to which many of us can somehow relate. There's always something in our own lives that has probably somehow been put into a Seinfeld episode. One thing about Seinfeld, though, is the group of friends often seems to get into some crazy situation because they had no way of communicating with each other. The airport pickup where the flight was rerouted... trying to find each other when they're in different theaters... Jerry trying to yell something out to Elaine after she has left his apartment... it's always something. It just shows that this television show took place in the perfect time period (July 5, 1989 – May 14, 1998). Cell phones weren't typical then like they are now. If Seinfeld had started 15 years later, all four of them would have cell phones, and they would have had to come up with some other situations where a cell phone wouldn't be a simple fix. Having said that, I don't know how I would've been able to stay sane if I didn't have a cell phone. Yay for not having cell phones in the 90's, but more yay for having cell phones in the 00's!

3 comments:

David Oakes said...

Jerry did have a car phone

Paul Brill said...

Yeah, true... how often did he even use it? The car phone wouldn't have been all that useful for finding each other in a movie theater, though, unless of course it was a drive-in. :)

ZAD-Man said...

I technically have a cell phone, but I might as well not...I don't really get why everyone's gotten into this "my life is complete since I have a cell phone" thing...maybe it's just because I have access to the Internet 90% of the day, but this need to connect is a foreign thing to me...