Saturday, April 26, 2008

Redundancy

People say some dumb things. I'm not saying people are dumb (That's a different subject), but they say things not realizing that what they're saying is unnecessarily repetitive. For example...
"ATM machine" - automated teller machine machine
"PIN number" - personal identification number number
"LED lights" - light emitting diode lights

Can you think of any other examples that would go along with these?

Edit 4/26/2008 9:41 PM:
I thought of another!
"LCD display" - liquid crystal display display

5 comments:

Jackson Ray said...

hmm...ya know, I've noticed with sports association abbreviations, it's very redundant...like NFL Football or NBA Basketball. Then there's like APR rate, ACT test, or CNN news. Not sure how common those last 3 are used...but they're annoying!

Paul Brill said...

Very nice.

Speaking of ACT...

Why do people say, "I took the ACT's," or, "I got a 1350 on my SAT's," when it's really just "the ACT" or "my SAT"?

Hmm.

David Oakes said...

I know why for the most part the ACT is mainly test out west and the SAT is for the east. People just talk different

Paul Brill said...

1. That makes no sense
2. That still doesn't explain why people put "'s" at the end

NitroxDM said...

How about "RPMs" - Revolutions Per Minutes. You don't say I got up to 65 miles per hours. That would just be silly.